Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Wow!

What a response! I've gotten responses from 20 different families so far asking to be added to the blog list and several of you are passing the word onto other families. Please continue to pass the word to any Toukoul families you know.

Because we have several on the blog now and I'm sure more to come, I thought we should at least start making a couple important decisions. Date and location.

I think we will all agree that finding a date and location that is going to work for everyone is just not feasible. However, I know we can find a date and location that will be agreeable to the majority. My hope is that by having this reunion in the summer of 2010, it will allow those families that want to attend, but will have to travel to do so, the time to plan and save.

What I would like start with now is discussing dates and location. I'm going to give us a list of dates to choose from and would like everyone to let me know which dates work for you. These are all 2010 dates.

June 25 - 27
July 9 - 11
July 16-18
July 23-25
Aug 6-8
Aug 13-15

I'm avoiding 4th of July weekend due to travel costs typically being higher over holidays. I've also tried to select dates that won't conflict with kid's school schedules.

Next, I would like us to discuss location. Tell me where you would like to see the reunion held and why you think it would be a good location.

Thanks for your participation in helping make this reunion become a reality.

15 comments:

Debbie said...

Any of the dates listed work for my family.

Personally, I would like to see the reunion held somewhere in Oregon. Maybe the Portland area. Even though we live in Illinois and it will require travel, I would like the first reunion to somehow include representatives from the agencies that helped bring us our children. The best way for that happen is by having the reunion in a location that will more easily allow that to happen.

Future reunions could be held in different locations throughout the U.S., but for the first one I just think Oregon, near Dove, Adoption Avenues and Tree of Life would be awesome.

Kellyann said...

I do not work in the summers so it seems that all the dates you listed will be fine for us. Of course it is very hard to plan for something so far in advance but I promise I'll make every attempt to attend with our son. I hope that at least my husband and our Ethiopia son (we are waiting for a referral) and me will be able to attend. I also have two children adopted from China. I think it is a good idea to have it near were the agency is so that we can all meet Radu and his wife. This will be so nice for all of us.

Joy said...

We are in AZ, but Oregon sounds great to us. Any dates are fine. Thanks for setting this up!

Unknown said...

Oh Oregon...please please Oregon. (We live there)! :)

There are some nice places at the coast (Seaside for example) as well as in Portland and surrounding areas.

Unknown said...

Oh...and it is good to "see" you on here, Joy!

Alisha J said...

The July 9-11 and 16-18 dates will not work for us. Other than that we are open to date and location.

Unknown said...

I am on east coast so I vote for that, but surely will loose that vote :) The August dates would work best for me.

Becky and Naing said...

I vote for Oregon too, since we live here. Oregon has so much to offer, camping, the ocean, the mountains, lots to choose from. But the idea of southern CA would be good too. We don't have a preference for dates right now.

Tara said...

I vote for somewhere more central to give more family's a chance to come. There could still be alot more familys joining that are from the other coast. We are in Az. now but moving to TN. in a month. I know our agency in Oregon has alot of picnics and special things for the familys there locally..it would be nice if this was central to give Everyone the best chance to get there..looks like I'm out voted though! Tara

blessedbigtime said...

I'm with Tara. There are so many things on the West coast for families that have adopted through the agencies that have been mentioned. I vote for somewhere on the East Coast or at least somewhere in the middle. :)

Orange Girl said...

OR would be very convenient for us since we're in Seattle but I'm open to somewhere else depending on how much it costs.
The only weekend out for us is the last weekend of July when we have our own family reunion.

Katie

sammiset said...

I vote for East Coast too. Currently in North Carolina but hoping to be in NY by 2010. Not sure if I could make a west coast event.

Anonymous said...

I vote for Northern California. :-)

There do seem to be a lot of folks centered in Oregon (probably because many used Dove?). The positive about doing in OR is that you'll get good turnout. But then again, those families have more opportunities to get together anyway, due to the relatively high density there. But I would totally go to Oregon if that's where you hold it!

Also, it would be great to avoid the very end of July, as that is the traditional time for the Ethiopian Heritage Camp run by African Cradle. Lots of families attend that and it would be a bummer for it to conflict...

Carrie said...

I vote for somewhere central. I wouldn't mind Oregon, but I fear airfare will be too expensive.

sawheeler said...

Any of the dates should work for us. I think Oregon would be great; we need to get up there to visit family anyway. Thanks for pulling this together!